Friday, February 18, 2011

As someone who doesn't drive, I'm constantly at the mercy of ETS (and their perpetually late buses. Are they still late if they're never on time?) It's annoying, and it does rather prevent any kind of drifting. I went walking around campus the other day, trying to clear my head to write a paper, and it was really fucking weird, to be walking without any kind of direction or set destination. It's always like that. Edmonton is not a city meant for drifting, I don't think. Maybe if you want to drift between giant shopping complexes? Drifting at West Edmonton Mall? We're a driving city, for the most part, and it doesn't work. I move through Edmonton with a purpose, and that makes me slightly sad. The best way to know a city is to walk it, get lost in it, and it's difficult to do when you confine yourself -- on purpose or not -- to the same few areas.

I'd like to do more UrbEx, too. A friend of mine was showing me pictures the other day from when he'd broken into some abandoned building a few months ago -- I can't remember where -- and it was the best thing ever. Apparently there's an abandoned train tunnel around here you can get into fairly easily, and the walls are, naturally, covered in graffiti. I'd like to move through Edmonton like that more, on a mission to see New and Exciting Things.

My laptop battery is about to die, though, and it's Friday and we're going to go celebrate the start of break with beer, AND it's hard for me to be coherent right now, because something really lovely just happened. I might edit this later, if that's allowed? Are there rules about that? I'd like to expand when I can think clearly/rationally.

No comments:

Post a Comment